Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Serving Trays and a Style Crush

I have been inspired lately by the many uses of serving trays. They are more than just a place to pass drinks during a party. They can be used in any room of the house from the kitchen to the bathroom. They are a jack-of-all trades decorating tool and no one can style a tray better than Mary Carol Garrity of Nell Hill's!

I first came upon Mary Carol's style in her book Feather Your Nest. It was there that my style crush began! I absolutely fell in love with her decorating style and her use of everyday serving pieces to create jaw dropping vignette's. Lucky for me, she has a Facebook account where I can get my fix of all things Nell Hill!

The base for many of her vignette's are tray's of all sizes shapes and textures.

Here she uses both a silver tray and a rustic wicker tray in a place setting.
http://thestonerabbit.typepad.com/the_stone_rabbit/
In her home she uses a large silver tray on a coffee table to create a pretty vignette with books, a wooden box and small dishes. By corralling everything onto a tray there is still plenty of space on the table for a guest to place a drink.
Nell Hill's
A sideboard is used to create a makeshift bar for entertaining. A wooden tray is used to hold bottles of wine.
http://briarcliffvillagekc.com/shop/nell-hills-holiday-hints-dress-up-your-drink-tables/

Bathrooms are another area where a tray can come in as a handy decorating tool. Bath salts and oil's in pretty glass container's, rolls of fresh white towels, fresh flower's and a pretty candelabra on a silver tray create a relaxing oasis.

Nell Hill's

http://briarcliffvillagekc.com/shop/nell-hill%E2%80%99s-new-year%E2%80%99s-decorating-resolutions/

A tray is used as a flat surface to hold glasses transforming this tufted ottoman into a coffee table.
inthetweeds.com
Tiered trays are great to hold many items at once. A tiered tray is used to hold essentials such as salt, pepper, sugar and cream in the kitchen or on a coffee and dessert bar.

Style at Home by Mary Carol Garrity

Again, more than one tray is used in this vignette. In the living room, a tiered porcelain tray placed on top of a black tole serving tray showcases a pretty collection of antique pill boxes.
http://dorascottage.blogspot.com/2011_10_23_archive.html

 I dream one day of going to Kansas City to visit her flagship store Nell Hill's and tour her beautiful home during her tri annual Open House.

Have you been to Nell Hill's?

3 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of Mary Carol Garrity/Nell Hill's, too. I have a business conference in Kansas City every fall and I really look forward to the trip because it means a stop (or 2 or 3) at Nell Hill's at Briarcliff in KC. Thanks for the lovely post - what eye candy!

    Jerri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerri,
      I am jealous! I love everything she does and would love to visit her stores! I have learned so much through her books and her blog! And as I said, thank goodness for facebook!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Kathleen

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of Mary Carol Garrity/Nell Hill's, too. I have a business conference in Kansas City every fall and I really look forward to the trip because it means a stop (or 2 or 3) at Nell Hill's at Briarcliff in KC. Thanks for the lovely post - what eye candy!

    Jerri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10