Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Larabar - Whole Food Energy

Hello! I realize it's been a week since my last post, but I have several things looming on the horizon that have captured my attention. Things like planning a graduation party and travelling to out of state soccer tournament's . Oh and I also decided to do C25K!  C25K has an App (who doesn't?) and I thought that would make things sooo much easier since it will tell me what to do and when to do it! I need a little push to get myself going and this is the perfect answer.
Anyway, have you tried Larabar's? They are a whole food energy bar that are quite tasty but I don't love the price! A buck a bar and I just saw them for $1.25 a bar! Outrageous and a little too pricey for my taste but I discovered a solution for that. I found a homemade version on Natural Health at Home's Whole Food Meal Plan that is fast, easy and delicious! Fast because it can be made in a food processor, easy because there is no cooking and delicious because it is soft and sweet and nutty! The other great thing is there are only two ingredients, dates and nuts. My kind of cooking! Ready for the recipe? I'll wait while you go get a pencil and paper.... :)

Printable Recipe

Homemade Energy Bar's (Larabar's)

1 10oz. package of pitted dates
1 8oz. package of nuts (pecan, walnut or almond's. Your choice)

Place dates in food processor and pulse until it forms a ball. Break ball apart with a spoon and add nuts to date mixture. Process until the consistency of wet sand. Empty contents into a 8x8 baking dish. Cover with parchment paper and press contents down compacting until smooth. I used a small rolling pin. You can also place a plate on top and press down.  Leave parchment on top and refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting into squares.



The first batch I made I used pecan's. Today I used walnut's but you could use whatever you like. Almond's are also good. The great thing about these are the possibilities are endless. Throw in some chocolate chips at the last minute or even add dried cherries with the dates for a different taste. Or how 'bout some dried apples or coconut? Adding in a tablespoon of peanut butter or any nut butter will kick it up another notch. See what I mean? You are the master and you can create any combination of flavor's and tailor them to your own personal liking! So, get creative and go make yourself a whole food energy bar that doesn't break the bank!

2 comments:

  1. Traci ~ 2 days and counting!I love that I can go at my own pace. I'm going to do everything possible to stick with it! They even have music especially for C25K! I love it when all the work is done for me! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10