Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How To Customize Christmas Garland


Here's a quick and easy way to get a custom look for your Christmas garland. I already had the garland but I wanted to make it a little more special by adding some shiny ornaments.

When I was in Homegoods last week, inspiration hit when I saw a simple garland of red, green and silver ornaments.  The ornaments were of varying sizes and I liked the colors so I thought what if I added THAT garland to my garland at home? It sure beats tying or hot gluing each ornament individually! So I rounded up enough of the shiny ornament garland which required going to several different Homegoods stores in my area. The things we do!

Here's how I did it:


 Lay the garland on your work surface. I used my kitchen island and placed a sheet underneath to protect it and catch all the glitter and loose strands from the garland.


 Before doing anything, plug in your garland to make sure all the lights work. Nothing worse than doing all the work and finding out only half your garland lights up!


The garland on the left in this picture is what I found at Homegoods. I'm sure you have seen them. They come in a variety of different combinations. All silver, red and gold, blue and silver etc. It is a garland of plastic ornaments. Perfect for using outdoors!


Using regular old garbage bag ties, I attached the two garlands together every 8 inches or so. No need to measure or be precise. Just attach so they are secure.

TIP: If you don't have any ties, you can use the wire garland itself. Just use a single piece of the green garland to attach with. Since it is wire, it can be twisted to attach ornaments, bows or anything else.
I realized this when I ran out of bag ties. With this method, no ugly blue or white or whatever color ties will show.

Continue until all are attached and you will have something that looks like this.  Looking good!


See all the glitter on the sheet?


Now get that bad boy hung and have the neighbors admire and marvel at all the time and work that it must have taken to get all those ornaments looking just right!






Don't worry..it'll be our little secret!

Come see what everyone else is sharing at:

11 comments:

  1. It looks perfect, don't worry I wont tell a soul LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I have a wrap around porch that I deck with garland too. I was thinking of just doing the wreaths in the middle of each section this year. Less work!
    Here from Yvonne's
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous! Love it! Would also love if you'd join our Countdown to Christmas link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_11_27_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. From plain-jane to gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and I happen to have several strands of the garland with the plastic bulbs. I'm visiting from The Farmhouse Porch party.

    Merry Christmas from Helen's Decor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it is just gorgeous! thanks so much for linking up.XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

  7. I would like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-10.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks awesome!!! Another way to attach things is to use pipe cleaners. They come in all colors and green doesn't show on a garland. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow great garland! I saw those too at HomeGoods! They have the neatest things there! You did a great job:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10