Thursday, April 11, 2013

California Dreaming



Hello! Life has been busy lately with soccer and my sweet girl! We just returned from San Diego where we spent a beautiful four days. The best part was we had a special visit with my oldest sweet girl who made the drive down from LA to see us.

We arrived on Thursday and hit the ground running, squeezing in all that we could when we weren't at the soccer field!

We were starving when we landed, so our first stop was to Barra Barra Saloon in Old Town San Diego for lunch. We both had the Barra Barra Quesadilla filled with pepper jack cheese, ortega chiles and pico de gallo.  All of their corn and flour quesadilla's are handmade fresh everyday and they were delicious. Such a treat! An even bigger treat was sitting outside in the warm weather!

Barra Barra


After filling our bellies we strolled around stopping in at many of the shops.

Old Town San Diego is known as the "birthplace" of California and is the site of the first Spanish settlement in California. There is a small Mexican community of adobe buildings formed in 1835 and it is now a State Historic park. The Mexican influence is everywhere. It's like a small trip south of the border!

There were beautiful handmade clay pots I wished I could've brought home with me. They looked so pretty sitting in the sun.



 Let me explain this next picture! Sweet girl was looking for gum and while we never found gum I came upon small boxes of crickets in many different flavors! Sweet girl purchased the "Salt & Vinegar" variety for her friends to try! Yes! They are real crickets! Yuck!


This next shop was calling to me. Can you see why? I love everything about it! Look at that chandelier! A Beauty! Another thing I wanted to stuff in my suitcase!


Ha! I just noticed the little "No Camera" symbol! See it above the round table on the left? Oops!


Of course this beautiful gate stopped me in my tracks!

Next stop before heading to our hotel was Cabrillo National Monument in Pt. Loma. Pt. Loma sits on a hilly  peninsula with a 360 degree view of San Diego.  Beauty all around.









This is the Naval Sub Base in Pt. Loma. This is also where Mr. Decor and my story began many moons ago. We were very fortunate to be stationed here. This was the first time I had been back in over 25 years. So many memories!


After sweet girls soccer game on Friday, we headed to The Poseidon Restaurant in Del Mar. We sat on the patio and had a beautiful view of the beach. It was the most relaxing lunch ever! Of course their "Miracle Margarita" might have had something to do with that!


After lunch, I sat with one of the other soccer moms on the beach while the girls played a game of beach volleyball. They were a sight to see playing in their soccer uniforms!

On Saturday we headed to La Jolla and had lunch at the cute Brockton Villa. It looks like a beach house which sits in a hillside above La Jolla Cove. My oldest sweet girl mentioned that if she had a beach house it would be decorated like the interior of the restaurant. White beadboard, warm wood floors and soft blue and green accents in a scatter of pillows in the booth. I have trained her well!
The view was breathtaking!





Lots of kayaks in the water.


Sunday was our last day. We had an early morning soccer game that day which gave us enough time to squeeze in one more stop at Seaport Village where we enjoyed lunch at The Harbor House located on the San Diego harbor. Once again, we had the most gorgeous view from our table!
Lucky for us it was only a mile from the airport!

If you haven't been to San Diego, I hope I have inspired you to consider going. It is such a beautiful and vibrant city with so much to see and do...and you can't beat the weather!

Sharing with:

4 comments:

  1. The shops look great, but the views are amazing. What a fantastic place to visit.

    Thanks for being a part of "Oh, the places I've been!". Looking forward to having you be a regular contributor.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. We moved away from Mission Beach in San Diego 36 years ago this week. When we were transfered, we expected it to be temporary because San Diego has perfect weather almost every day of the year. We missed it for awhile, but our cute little beach town stole our hearts and we never moved back.

    Thanks for the stroll down Memory Lane. Of course, some of the areas you showed did not exist when we lived there. Seaport Village was not there, but we have been there many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post! We loved living there also. As you said, perfect weather almost every day! I enjoyed going back, especially with my two daughter's. The oldest is the same age I was when I lived there! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10