Monday, April 15, 2013

Spraying New Life into Old Patio Furniture



I know many of you have done beautiful transformations on old tired furniture with paint. I know. I have seen these works of art all over blogland!

My patio furniture was in great shape and I couldn't justify replacing it with something new. Truth be told,  I couldn't see spending money on new furniture if I could update what I already had with a fresh coat of paint and a new color!

So after a lot of inspiration, I headed to the store for a few cans of spray paint and got to work.

Here is the before

 I purchased this set in 1998. I know, the color gives it away. Verdigris green! But I loved it THEN and it has served us well over the years. It was in great shape, except for the straps on the seats that were starting to break. Things tend to do that when they get old :)

I found a place online where I could purchase new straps for a reasonable price. After carefully measuring the seat dimensions with the instructions provided on the website, and picking the color I wanted, I placed my order, keeping my fingers crossed it would turn out right.
 I scrubbed the furniture of all grime and mildew (important step) and it was ready for its first coat of paint.

I used this in Dark Bronze


After applying 3 coats this was the result

As you can see, this was before I re-strapped the seats. I also purchased a new umbrella with the same ORB finish.


I was very happy with the color. I wanted an ORB  finish and this has just the right hint of metallic without being too shiny.

I couldn't be more pleased with the how the seats turned out. The color is perfect and although it took a bit of elbow grease, they were easy to do.


I was able to do all the painting in an afternoon and adding the new straps took about an hour. I saved that for a different day to make sure the paint was really dry.

Time well spent if I do say so myself!

You can find me out back.

.... I'll have some lemon in my tea, please?

11 comments:

  1. Would you share a link to the site where you found the straps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered the straps from chair care patio dot com. They have everything you'll need to revive old chairs and tables.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, they look fabulous. I love the color and so pretty on the patio. Great job. Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I love your paint job, it looks great! I expected the furniture to be a darker bronze color like the spray can top. Is it just lighter in your picture? I'm planning to paint my outside furniture this spring but would like a true dark bronze. I was also planning to use the same color spray that you did. Would you let me know if the color is true? Thanks, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, you're right. The color on the spray can top IS darker than the actual color. The pictures of the painted furniture are pretty true to the actual color. I used this particular color because it was the closest color to an ORB I could find at the time. Since then, I have seen that Krylon makes a spray paint called "Oil Rubbed Bronze" that you might want to check out. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Good for You and your wallet! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my wallet was happy, but Mr. Decor was even happier! Thanks for visiting Laura!

      Delete
  6. What you did was great, giving a new look to an old furniture, I love the new color its stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Finding the time and actual effort to make a top notch article…
    but what can I say… I put things off a whole lot
    and never manage to get anything done.

    Also visit my web site - lawton ok attorneys

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10