Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Around The Table...


Setting the table has never been something I've enjoyed. When I was younger, every night my parents had one of us kids set the table for dinner.That was usually around the time one of us disappeared into a room so as to escape this most boring ritual. Little did I realize then, that this was the easy part of getting dinner on the table!

Fast forward a few years and setting the table has become a much more enjoyable experience for me.

Having my own family, I realize it is much more than scattering the table with a few plates, utensils and napkins.


It has become a labor of love.


For a family, the table is a central place of gathering where we celebrate together, create traditions and fortify relationships.


It is a place where we slow down, have conversation and connect with one another after a day that is often filled with busy schedules that go at breakneck speed.






You see, while I was rolling my eyes and trying to busy myself with doing something else so I wouldn't have to set the table, I didn't realize the importance of the presentation of the table and the lessons my mother was teaching.


During the Holiday's, the table setting is as important as the food that is served. We delight in the beauty of the sparkling glasses and the glow of the candlelight...


It enhances the dinner experience and fills our senses.


 We sit down together, say Grace and pass the dishes from one set of hands to another...


...we connect.


 Sometimes there are candles...and sometimes just placemats...


But there is always conversation...


...and laughter...




We share stories about our day...


and enjoy the meal that has so lovingly been prepared for us.


It is effortless...


And when the meal is done and our bellies are full...


....we clear the table of the dirty dishes...


 and blow out the candles and continue our conversation in another room.


We are content.


I hope this holiday season, you have many memorable moments with your family...


...enjoy old traditions and create new ones....


and always remember the love that was shared...



...around the table!


Sharing at:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10