Sunday, November 3, 2013

From Frumpy to Fabulous!

I'm back with pictures from my latest project. This sweet chair had seen a lot of years and a lot of use. I didn't think twice before purchasing her. I could see the diamond in the rough and I couldn't wait to transform her!

Here she is after bringing her home.


This is a well made chair of sturdy wood. I'm pretty positive that is the original stain. 
Just a few scratches and small bumps and bruises. 


For a split second I thought I couldn't possibly paint over the beautiful wood! But, I stayed true to my vision and went ahead trusting my instincts knowing she could be a real beauty once she was cleaned up.

Once I removed the seat I found a marking that said, "Detroit Chair Manufacturing, Inc." After a quick Google, I was surprised to find out that Detroit Chair Mfg. Co. had been one of the largest furniture Manufacturer's in the US in the early 1900's. This type of chair dated between 1920-1930. According to what I read, the original seat must have originally been cane. The seat that you see above was a more recent add on. Probably after the cane had dried and broken down. A bonus for me since all I had to do was add new foam for the cushion.





If you remember my spring road trip to Ikea, I loved the Berta Ruta buffalo check fabric and knew immediately that it was meant to be on this chair.



With a 50/50 mixture of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Old White and Pure White, I got to work on the makeover.

Here is the result!




I did a light distressing and finished it with clear wax.


I'm so glad I "listened" to this piece begging for a new look instead of the tired stain it had.

Isn't she a beauty?

She looks quite at home in her new surroundings!

Linking to:

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous makeover! I love the buffalo check fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your chair. Your aging is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10