Sunday, November 17, 2013

Is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® a Full Spectrum Paint?

It occurred to me today as I was playing around mixing different ACSP colors, how similar Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan is to full spectrum paint such as Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum Paint. Full spectrum paints are colors mixed without adding any black pigment to them. Unlike most commercial paints that do contain black pigment, full spectrum colors do not. What makes these paints special is their chameleon like quality. The colors change in different light and also according to the time of day.

A description from the Ellen Kennon website reads,

"Our paints are blended from the 7 colors of natural sunlight and closely mimic nature's elements such as sky, water and stone, with infinite color and variation. Standard paint colors are usually a blend of two or three pigments that includes black, which absorbs light. Ellen's paints omit black and have a broader range of pigments that reflect a broader range of light and coordinate more easily with the colors and furnishings around them. They are chameleon-like in their ability to pick up colors from adjacent materials and to change character as the light changes. Also, because of the absence of black and the perfect balance of a full spectrum of pigments, they don't tend to turn muddy or lose their character in low light conditions." 

Years ago I belonged to a popular decorating forum where I was first introduced to the notion of full spectrum color and the Ellen Kennon line of Full Spectrum paints. Thanks to that decorating forum, I now have Ellen Kennon Edgewood Green in my kitchen. I had just remodeled the kitchen and was at a roadblock as to what color to paint the walls. Sound familiar? Ellen was so kind as to speak with me after I had emailed her assistant pictures of my kitchen. I included all my choices from cabinet finish to tile to hardware and counter top. While viewing my pictures she and I discussed what color options would best suit all the finishes I had selected. Her professional suggestion was Edgewood Green and almost eight years later, I still love the color!

Here are some shot's of Ellen Kennon Edgewood Green in my kitchen from a few year's ago














I am totally in love with this color!

So, as I was mixing some ASCP colors, knowing that Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan didn't contain black pigment with the exception of Graphite, it hit me that Annie's colors could also be considered a full spectrum paint! That would explain how beautifully soft they are and how a piece of furniture painted in Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan can change according to the light of the room. These paints also possess that chameleon-like quality of a full spectrum paint.

This also explains why it is so hard to capture the true essence of a color with a camera. The light, the room, the computer monitor all play a role in how the color is interpreted. We can garner an idea to use as inspiration, but my best advice to anyone is to test your color on a scrap piece of wood before committing it to a piece of furniture.

That is my my rambling for today folks!

Have you had any light bulb moments lately?

Also, please go and check out Confessions of a Plate Addict's post on Thanksgiving Inspiration...Tablescapes, Recipes, Decor and More! She was kind enough to feature my Thanksgiving table centerpiece from my post, Around The Table. There is so much great inspiration to be seen there. Be sure to get comfortable...you'll be there awhile!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10