Sunday, December 15, 2013

Gilding, Stenciling and Decoupaging, Oh My!

Last night I attended the Chalk Paint® 102 workshop at my local stockist Edwin Loy Home. As expected, it was a fun night of painting, chatting and learning. There was only one other woman in the class with me so it felt more like a private class. Lucky for us! We got right to work, but not before Amy, our lovely instructor and shop owner, opened a bottle of wine for us to sip while we painted! I'm not sure that would have happened in a full class! Lucky us again!

We learned how to use Craqueleur and gild with gold and silver leaf. This was my favorite project of the night! We also decoupaged and stencilled using chalk paint.


For our first project, we painted a piece of molding that we would paint over with the Craqueleur. The Craqueleur causes cracking (duh!) in the paint to occur when dried with the heat of a blow drier. Another method is to let it dry naturally in the hot sun but that will have to wait for better weather...months from now!


The nice thing about these workshops is having all the colors available to experiment with. For the Craqueleur project, I chose Old Violet and silver leaf. There are several steps in this method, none of them hard, but look at the beautiful result...





After the crackle has developed and the leaf applied, dark wax was brushed liberally over the entire piece and wiped off. The dark wax settled into all the nooks and crannies giving it a lovely aged appearance.




It was also great practice using the dark wax and I learned to be quite brave, brushing on several more coats and letting it sit a minute or two before removing the excess with a soft rag.



I think this might be my new favorite color! I fell hard for it and purchased a quart to bring home.


It reminded me of a custom color I created a few weeks ago while playing around in my kitchen workshop. Here it is pictured with the Old Violet. It is the one on top.




In real life the Old Violet is a bit bluer. The custom color with the dark wax is not an Annie Sloan dark wax. It is made by Liberon and is in Dark Walnut. Still a very dark wax, but as you can see not the same color as the Annie Sloan dark wax. Just wanted to point that out to you. I promised myself I would finish the can I had before purchasing Annie's dark wax. I didn't want it to go to waste, afraid that once I started using Annie's, I wouldn't go back to what I had on hand.




One more shot of Old Violet because I love it so!


Moving on...


Decoupaging was next and stencilling. Like I said, I like to experiment with colors I haven't used before.


Here is the stencil project.




I used Old Ochre as the base color and Emile as the stencil color. I then used a wash of Duck Egg, Scandanavian Pink, and Old Violet applying and wiping back each of them. A coat of clear wax, some distress sanding and finally a coat of dark wax and we were good to go!




 Here you can see the layers upon layers of colors I used.


Next up, decoupage...


If you think you've never decoupaged before...yes you have! 


Remember back in elementary school when you cut out a picture from a magazine and glued it to a piece of construction paper then painted Elmer's glue over the whole thing?


That was decoupaging!


We didn't use Elmer's but Mod Podge is used in a lot of decoupage projects.


Here I used Olive as the base color followed by clear and dark wax.




I was excited to use the Olive with dark wax because I have it in mind for a chair awaiting my attention!




It is very pretty!

I seem to be drawn to the darker colors but as I said last night, you can't go wrong with any of Annie Sloan's colors!

So, that's it folks!

Instead of shopping and wrapping and baking, I was happily getting my hands dirty and my finger nails caked with paint!

Anyone interested in a wrapping party?

I'll host!


2 comments:

  1. Great post Kathleen! Stop by soon to catch up…would love to hear what you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i got here to return the choose?.I am
    trying to to find things to enhance my website!I guess its ok to make use of some
    of your ideas!!

    Feel free to visit my web page - single women in tulsa ok

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10