Saturday, January 11, 2014

Annie Cracks Me Up!


Happy Saturday! It was a bit rainy here today, but I'll take that over the subzero temps we had only a week ago. Crazy weather!

Rainy days are good days for painting!

Thursday I made my first trip of the year to Goodwill and spotted a mirror buried beneath a few others. I casually glanced at it but didn't think much about it and left.

It was one of my whirlwind fast moving sweeps through Goodwill...in and out!

Well, I kept thinking about it and it wasn't until I left the store and was on my way home that I pictured what I could do with it!

But, I continued home anyway.

A good test of how badly I want/need something is if I am still thinking about it the next day and sure enough the next morning I was on my way back to Goodwill hoping it was still there. In other words, I passed the test!

After purchasing the mirror, I continued to my local stockist to pick up Annie Sloan's Craqueleur.

Remember, how I showed you in this post how beautifully Craqueleur by Annie Sloan could transform something? Well, I had plans ... and this mirror was involved!




It was in perfect condition but I was a little wary of some of the knots on the pine, so after cleaning it with mineral spirits, I gave it a coat of shellac to seal in the knots that might bleed through.



After two coats of Paris Grey I applied the Craqueleur and watched the magic happen as it dried with the heat of my blow drier. It gives it a beautiful finish that is very hard to see before the dark wax is applied, but trust me, it's there!



Then I began brushing on sticky size for the silver leaf! I decided I would silver leaf all the raised pieces like the molding around the mirror, the scroll in the top middle and the very top piece of molding. I was going for the French Tremeau look!



Once the size was set up, meaning transparent but sticky to the touch, I started to apply the silver leaf.



The above is before I applied any wax. At this point it was just paint, Craqueluer and silver leaf.


The final step is the wax! A quick coat of clear wax followed by dark and the tiny cracks start to appear as the dark wax gets caught by the crackle! I worked the dark wax in quite a bit, going in circles so as to accentuate the cracks. The size of the crackle depends on how thin or thick you apply the Craqueleur. The result is the look of old porcelain or perhaps you have seen these cracks on ironstone. Imagine how nice it would look applied over paper in a decoupage project! So many possibilities!

And here you have the final result!






Amazing huh?

This was probably a mirror from someones bedroom set.

If they only knew what they could do!

What are your plans for the weekend?

Sharing At:



 photo signature_zpsdea964ff.png

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love it, looks fabulous and I love the crackling. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks lovely
    with the bits of silver

    like a real vintage find

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded this week!

    Alison
    Nancherrow (formerly Stuff and Nonsense)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! I just hopped on over to your blog and joined the party! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I love it! Thanks for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button. Hope to see your prettiness again tomorrow at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature Kathryn! It was a very nice way to start my day!

      Delete
  4. Whoa...that mirror made a complete turnaround from drab to "hubba hubba"....Seriously:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! I acquired and had that baby transformed in a matter of hours! My hubba hubba moments come in waves apparently. Not much has happened since! I need to amp it up! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Who could have imagined that 1970s pine mirror could be transformed so beautifully!? Thank you for sharing your process...Hope you don't mind if I "Pin It"! :)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be my guest...pin away! Thanks for hopping over to the blog from FB :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10