Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Experimenting with Chalk Paint® and Stain




I decided to experiment with Chalk Paint® and stain because I was curious how the Chalk Paint® accepted the stain and if there were any noticeable differences in the outcome.

I had bought a little wooden box at Homegood's sometime in the Fall that I used in a centerpiece at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Here it is at Thanksgiving


And again at Christmas


Although I loved the versatality of this piece, I also wanted to use it to store my Chalk paint® color boards.

I thought it was a good idea to paint the box using Chalk Paint® since I would be using it to store my Chalk Paint® color samples.

I forgot to take a picture of the box before applying the paint, hence the pictures above but I know you get the idea.

Anyway, I decided Olive was a good choice but I also wanted to deepen the color by applying stain over the paint. I was really using this box as a test because I had this same idea in my head for a chair that is patiently waiting my attention. For some reason, I pictured the chair with Olive paint and a nice wash of stain or maybe dark wax. I really just wanted an excuse to see how the stain would look over the Chalk Paint®.

I applied two coats of Olive on the outside only of the box because as I was painting I decided that the original dark stain on the inside of the box would look really nice with the Olive.

I am happy to report I was right!

I did a little distressing along the edges to give it a little rustic vibe. The addition of the stain picked that up nicely.


Here you can see the inside was left with its original stain. It plays very nicely with the Olive!



It was a very easy project to do. After two coats of paint I wiped on the stain with cheese cloth.

The stain dried fast and was a very matte finish which surprised me. I was expecting a little more shine, but the matte appearance is perfect for this rustic look.

I did try waxing with some clear wax, but it didn't do much because the stain didn't absorb the wax at all. The stain was the topcoat that protects the paint.


You can see the dings and dents and dovetail joints.


I now have lovely storage for my sample boards!








I love how it turned out! Just as I had pictured it. It was a goood experiment for me. It taught me to trust in my vision, something I am learning to do!

Have you tried something new? I'd love to hear about it!

Sharing at:




 photo signature_zpsdea964ff.png

8 comments:

  1. Your experiment turned out really nice! Thanks for sharing....I will have to give this technique a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great! I love that you left the inside the natural color of wood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it funny how you can change your mind midstream? I guess that's what they mean when they say, " Let the piece speak to you"! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Love the Olive color. I have used the Old White, Chateau Gray, Primer Red, and Graphite and liked them all. Love the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward to using the Primer Red and Chateau Grey! All of the colors are gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Which stain did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stain was actually from Caromal Colours that they refer to as a toner. I had it in my stash, so that's what I used. http://www.caromalcolours.com/viewproduct.php?cid=19&pid=44

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10