Hello out there!
Things around here may have seemed quiet, but that is because of me waking up one morning only to find that my computer wouldn't turn on. Apparently it decided to quit! No warning ...well, alright... maybe a small one. But how was I to know that the extremely loud, on and off racket the fan was making was a warning sign?
After some frustration of not being able to get any sign of life from it, reality set in and my stomach turned. ALL!...EVERYTHING!..files, email, software, PICTURES...GONE!
I know there is a way to recover those things and I am on the search to discover who and where I can go to and trust.
After a few days of thinking things over, I rescued a long forgotten older computer in my oldest son's closet. It seems to be doing the trick, albeit, a bit slower, but then again, so am I! It works and that's all that matters right now.
I DID however distract myself by painting a piece I had bought sometime in early December. It had a little veneer damage that I shied away from which is why it sat for awhile. I finally got up the courage to tackle the veneer after searching and reading up on ways to "fix peeling veneer."
Here is the cute little dresser I won at a Goodwill auction.
and here is the damaged veneer
Wood glue and clamps greatly improved the appearance and with the addition of wood filler and sanding. one would have to inspect very closely to see any hints of imperfection! I was very pleased since this was my first time doing an actual repair.
Also missing were a few drawer stops that I was able to find, thanks to a quick google search. Once purchased, the drawer stops were shipped quickly and in my hands in a few days. All it took was a few taps of the hammer to insert the new stops and we were in business! The dresser was shaping up nicely!
I decided on a two tone look using a 50/50 mix of French Linen and Old White for the body and a 50/50 mix of Old White and Pure White for the drawers.
This is after only one coat. It looks very bright here because it is sitting by the sidelights of my front door. Yes, I painted it in my foyer!
You can also see the metal drawer stops. Two on each drawer frame.
The original hardware was beautiful and since this was such an old piece, I wanted to stay true to its integrity and keep it on the dresser. However, I did enhance it a little.
I gave it a wash of Old White and dabbed off the excess before leaving it to dry.
The wash of Old White highlighted these pulls beautifully!
The final step of clear wax left them with just enough patina.
The final result of all that mixing and measuring!
Lightly distressed followed by clear and dark wax before the final buffing!
I saved the best part for last...
The surprise inside...
...painted in Emile!
I enjoyed this piece so much
As I painted, I imagined who might have built this beautiful dresser and the years of use it had before getting a well deserved makeover.
I am honored to be a part of the process.
I hope this piece can live on for many more years!