Friday, February 21, 2014

A Computer Crash and An Awesome Auction Win!


Hello out there!

Things around here may have seemed quiet, but that is because of me waking up one morning only to find that my computer wouldn't turn on. Apparently it decided to quit! No warning ...well, alright... maybe a small one. But how was I to know that the extremely loud, on and off racket the fan was making was a warning sign? 
After some frustration of not being able to get any sign of life from it, reality set in and my stomach turned. ALL!...EVERYTHING!..files, email, software, PICTURES...GONE!  
I know there is a way to recover those things and I am on the search to discover who and  where I can go to and trust. 

After a few days of thinking things over, I rescued a long forgotten older computer in my oldest son's closet. It seems to be doing the trick, albeit, a bit slower, but then again, so am I! It works and that's all that matters right now. 

I DID however distract myself by painting a piece I had bought sometime in early December. It had a little veneer damage that I shied away from which is why it sat for awhile. I finally got up the courage to tackle the veneer after searching and reading up on ways to "fix peeling veneer." 

Here is the cute little dresser I won at a Goodwill auction. 


and here is the damaged veneer



 Wood glue and clamps greatly improved the appearance and with the addition of wood filler and sanding. one would have to inspect very closely to see any hints of imperfection! I was very pleased since this was my first time doing an actual repair.

Also missing were a few drawer stops that I was able to find, thanks to a quick google search. Once purchased,  the drawer stops were shipped quickly and in my hands in a few days. All it took was a few taps of the hammer to insert the new stops and we were in business! The dresser was shaping up nicely!

I decided on a two tone look using a 50/50 mix of French Linen and Old White for the body and a 50/50 mix of Old White and Pure White for the drawers. 



This is after only one coat. It looks very bright here because it is sitting by the sidelights of my front door.  Yes, I painted it in my foyer! 
You can also see the metal drawer stops. Two on each drawer frame.

The original hardware was beautiful and since this was such an old piece, I wanted to stay true to its integrity and keep it on the dresser. However, I did enhance it a little.



I gave it a wash of Old White and dabbed off the excess before leaving it to dry.


The wash of Old White highlighted these pulls beautifully!


The final step of clear wax left them with just enough patina.



The final result of all that mixing and measuring!



Lightly distressed followed by clear and dark wax before the final buffing!





I saved the best part for last...


The surprise inside...


...painted in Emile!

I enjoyed this piece so much
As I painted,  I imagined who might have built this beautiful dresser and the years of use it had before getting a well deserved makeover.
I am honored to be a part of the process.



 I hope this piece can live on for many more years!

Sharing At:


 photo signature_zpsdea964ff.png



33 comments:

  1. Oh I love it, what a fabulous piece. The two tone is perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This.is.amazing! I found it on pinterest, can't wait to explore your blog after this wonderful post! Well done! Repinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen,
    WoW!!!
    This dresser went from a beautiful piece of furniture to an amazing piece of furniture!!!
    The character increased greatly!!!
    I'm thrilled that you had the original hardware and could incorporate it into your design.
    Thank youfor sharing this masterpiece of art with us!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! Funny that some people are so hesitant to "paint wood" because they're afraid of ruining it! I look at it as giving it a new and longer life!

      Delete
  4. Kathleen, the handles are the icing on the cake. I would love for you to share on Chic By You Wednesday Party. Hope to see you there! ChicByTab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabatha! Also, thanks for the invite, I joined your first link party! Woo Hoo!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous makeover! I love the combination of French Linen and Old White...but the Emile in the drawers is awesome!!! Your pretty dresser caught my eye over at The Scoop Party!
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for the sweet comment Marie! I hopped on over to your blog and added it to your link party!

      Delete
  6. This is definitely not the way you want to start your morning. I just hope you found someone who can repair it immediately. Thankfully, your son’s old computer is still there. At least you have something to use while your computer is still up for repairs. Also, it’s a good thing that you have a project like this one to divert your attention, which by the way, looks very lovely. I hope to see more interesting projects like this. Thank you for sharing it.

    Cordia @ RBSMN.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comments Cordia!

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you Kathleen! Thanks for sharing on Chic By You this week. Hopefully I will see you next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful transformation - love the colors. That soft gleam wax gives furniture is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful piece, Kathleen! You did a great job and I love the colors.
    Thank you for sharing this at DIY Showcase on VMG206.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Virginia! Love making new connections!

      Delete
  10. Sloan is the best, I love how the finish looks so soft!! Great job, nice blog!
    Karolyn-The Relished Roost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks for stopping by Karolyn!

      Delete
  11. I love the transformation, especially how the handles turned out!

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment! Just visited your blog and am loving how you transformed your cabinet AND kept your hubby happy!

      Delete
  12. Wow, I think you are a furniture magician :)
    This piece looks just fabulous, and I really love the hardware enhancement!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness I can feel my gut wrenching with your computer troubles! I am so sorry, I know that's frustrating! On another note oh my gorgeousness that dresser you fixed up is LOVELY! I love the color combos you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful, Kathleen! I love your addition of white wash on the hardware, what a great idea! Thanks so much for stopping by Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did make a difference didn't it? Thanks so much for the nice comment. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  15. What a pretty piece to begin with, and I love what you ended up doing with the two-tone and the tweaking of the hardware. It looks so pretty!! Thanks for sharing it on Best Of The Nest. Glad to see it and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Knowing what color to paint is the hardest part of the whole process! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  16. What a lovely transformation! I have taken the liberty of bookmarking this post for future inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty. Thanks for sharing.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! I never thought of white washing hardware but I will from now on - love that look! And the pop of color inside the drawer is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathleen, just wanted to let you know I featured your beautiful dresser today and also shared it on my Facebook page! I love to see a good furniture makeover like this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness - it's beautiful. As I was scrolling down and reading, I thought, "Oh no! She's painting over that gorgeous wood." Well, I repent. It looks stunning - every detail from the gloss on the hardware to the painted drawers to the PERFECTLY imperfect distressing. You put so much love into this and it shows. I love how you see yourself as part of the process - a piece of this dresser's history. Very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

 
09 10